Jefferson State Community College
Paralegal Certificate Course©
About This Course
The Paralegal Certificate Course© is the cornerstone of The Center for Legal Studies programs. Paralegalism is one of the fastest growing careers in the country.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the number of paralegals to increase 28% between 2008 and 2018, much faster than the national average for all occupations.
The national median earnings for paralegals is currently $44,480.00/Year and freelance paralegal professionals average significantly more across the board.
The Paralegal Certificate Course© is available in a variety of formats to suit your schedule and is offered through colleges and universities nationwide. Successful graduates will receive a professional certificate from the college or university of their choice.
California paralegals may need to complete Advanced Paralegal coursework to meet the requirements of California Business and Professional Code §6450. Please click here for more information.
New Mexico paralegals need to fulfill additional educational requirements to meet the requirements of Rule 20-115 NMRA. Please click here for more information.
Legal Research Requirement
WESTLAW© online legal research access is required for CLS students taking the Paralegal Certificate Course© in the following formats:
- Live lecture – Required for duration of course.
- Online – Required for the second half of the paralegal online course, access valid for a maximum of 7 weeks.
- DVD – Required for the second half of the paralegal DVD course, access valid for a maximum of 60 days.
- WESTLAW© is optional for those students taking the Text-Only format of the course. If you have access to the Internet, we highly recommend purchasing WESTLAW© online legal research access. Access lasts for 60 days from date of activation and you must be currently enrolled to purchase.
- WESTLAW online legal research access, available for only $89.00. Order Online
Please call 1-800-522-7737 or email [email protected] for more information.
The Paralegal Certificate Course© is offered in the following formats:
This intensive, nationally acclaimed program is designed for beginning as well as advanced legal workers. The curriculum covers all course objectives and lesson topics covered in our popular online format (both Paralegal I and II).
- Face to face instruction on campus from qualified legal professionals
- Six or Eight Week Programs
- Professional certificate awarded by the college or university
- Practical application and hands-on exercises completed in class
- Students are required to attend at least 80% of the course and must pass every assignment with a 70% or better to be eligible for a certificate of completion.
To register, call (205)856-7917
Register With School
Required Course Textbooks
Paralegal Career for Dummies, with CD of Forms - Scott A. Hatch, J.D., and Lisa Zimmer Hatch, M.A.
Paralegal Certificate Course© Workbook - Margaret J. Kirk
Legal Document Preparation Manual for the Paralegal Certificate Course - The Center for Legal Studies
Introduction to Paralegalism, 8th Edition - William P. Statsky
Federal Civil Rules Booklet
Uniform System of Citation