Legal Secretary Certificate Course
About This Course
This intensive program is designed for both beginning and experienced secretaries who are interested in improving their skills and working more efficiently within the law office. Students will study such topics as: legal terminology; legal process; jurisdiction and venue; ethics; written communications including letters, pleadings, discovery, notices and motions; filing procedures, billing and accounting; time management; records management; an overview of commonly used word and data processing programs; legal research; memoranda preparation, and citation format.
Lesson 1: During this first section students will receive an introduction to the theory of law, the legal process, and the nature of the practice of law. Discussion will include the process of law as well as the specific legal terminology. Ethics are also covered.
Lesson 2: This section addresses the particulars of law office management. This session also studies technology used in the law office. Students will be exposed to actual court documents and will prepare some of these documents as part of their homework.
Lesson 3: The final section will be spent examining the intricacies of the law office, including office procedure manuals, billing techniques, and overall management techniques of the law office. Students will also be introduced to the basics of legal research and proper citation format. Job search strategies and placement possibilities will also be discussed.
Please call 1-800-522-7737 or email [email protected] for more information.
The Legal Secretary Certificate Course is offered in the following formats:
For beginning and advanced legal secretaries.
- Professional certificate awarded by a college or university of your choice
- Evening or Weekend classes
- 42 hours of instruction
- View the Course Syllabus
- Students will be qualified to assist attorneys, paralegals, insurance companies, private businesses, and state and federal government agencies.
- This course will provide those interested in a career change with new, marketable job skills and also help those already working as legal secretaries to increase efficiency and productivity in their offices.
Highly Recommended Legal Resource:
- WESTLAW legal research access, only $89. Please call 1-800-522-7737 for more information or order online
To enroll, please call the school at (956)721-5374