University of Michigan, Flint
Paralegal Certificate Course©
About This Course
The Paralegal Certificate Course© is the cornerstone of The Center for Legal Studies programs. Paralegalism is one of the fastest growing careers in the country.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the number of paralegals to increase 28% between 2008 and 2018, much faster than the national average for all occupations.
The national median earnings for paralegals is currently $44,480.00/Year and freelance paralegal professionals average significantly more across the board.
The Paralegal Certificate Course© is available in a variety of formats to suit your schedule and is offered through colleges and universities nationwide. Successful graduates will receive a professional certificate from the college or university of their choice.
California paralegals may need to complete Advanced Paralegal coursework to meet the requirements of California Business and Professional Code §6450. Please click here for more information.
New Mexico paralegals need to fulfill additional educational requirements to meet the requirements of Rule 20-115 NMRA. Please click here for more information.
Legal Research Requirement
WESTLAW© online legal research access is required for CLS students taking the Paralegal Certificate Course© in the following formats:
- Live lecture – Required for duration of course.
- Online – Required for the second half of the paralegal online course, access valid for a maximum of 7 weeks.
- DVD – Required for the second half of the paralegal DVD course, access valid for a maximum of 60 days.
- WESTLAW© is optional for those students taking the Text-Only format of the course. If you have access to the Internet, we highly recommend purchasing WESTLAW© online legal research access. Access lasts for 60 days from date of activation and you must be currently enrolled to purchase.
- WESTLAW online legal research access, available for only $89.00. Order Online
Please call 1-800-522-7737 or email [email protected] for more information.
The Paralegal Certificate Course© is offered in the following formats:
The Center for Legal Studies features in an Online format the same Paralegal Certificate Course© that has been offered live since 1980 at colleges and universities throughout the nation. This format is available to students via any computer with internet access and at any time of day or night during our online sessions.
- Review the material as many times as necessary for full retention of the information.
- Students benefit from direct interaction with the instructor and other students by way of e-mail and a discussion board.
- Online course is available virtually anytime, in the comfort and privacy of your home or office.
- Students have 14 weeks to complete the online course (7 weeks for Paralegal I and 7 weeks for Paralegal II.) Please note that the course fee covers both halves of the course. Students may choose any session to begin the course with Paralegal I and they will be automatically enrolled in the following session for Paralegal II.
- Students must complete both Paralegal I and Paralegal II to be awarded a Certificate. (California paralegals may need to complete Advanced Paralegal course work to meet the requirements of California Business and Professional Code §6450. Please click here for more information.)
- Students e-mail assignments and exams
- Once registered, your password and access information will be sent via email prior to the start of class.
Required Course Textbooks
Paralegal Career for Dummies, with CD of Forms - Scott A. Hatch, J.D., and Lisa Zimmer Hatch, M.A.
Paralegal Certificate Course© Workbook - Margaret J. Kirk
Legal Document Preparation Manual for the Paralegal Certificate Course - The Center for Legal Studies
Introduction to Paralegalism, 8th Edition - William P. Statsky
Federal Civil Rules Booklet
Uniform System of Citation