Nowadays, many law firms specialize in particular areas of the law such as estate planning, and immigration and employment laws. There are numerous paralegal types and specializations available in law firms. Programs offering paralegal training encourage additional courses in specific legal topics to prepare students for law firms with only one or two focuses.
Paralegals can choose to specialize in a particular legal aspect. Here are the 5 types of paralegals you meet in law firms:
- Real Estate Paralegal – real estate paralegals focus on ordering and researching title information, trusts, and deeds. They are knowledgeable about legal matters concerning real estate such as closing processes and required administrative work for closing and transferring of assets. Real estate paralegals also deal with foreclosures and loan matters.
- Immigration Paralegal – these paralegals focus on the immigration process and help their clients every step of the way. Immigration paralegals assist clients in filling out citizenship applications, obtaining green cards, and other related tasks.
- Insurance Paralegal – insurance paralegals assist clients with cases of questionable claims and issues involving insurance matters. This type of paralegal works in traditional law firms within the legal department of insurance companies.
Capable insurance paralegals assist clients with insurance claims and sift through insurance policies to better understand legal cases involving these matters.
- Estate Planning Paralegal – estate planning paralegals (also known as probate paralegals) create legal documents related to estates, trust, will, and probate forms. They assist clients who recently lost their loved ones through the probate process.
- Patent Paralegal – paralegals specializing with patent legal cases are known for their high compensation. Patent paralegals assist their attorneys with research and administrative tasks such as filling out required documents to obtain patents. Due to the complex nature of patents, paralegals specializing in this profession guide clients through legal matters concerning patents and violations.
- Employment Law Paralegal – employment paralegals assist in all legal matters concerning employment such as hiring and firing, labor union matters, workplace safety, discrimination issues, and sexual harassment cases.
If you are interested in pursuing a career as a paralegal, best to prepare yourself with proper training and education. CLS by Barbri provides you with quality courses to help you achieve your dreams of becoming a paralegal. Click here for more information.