University of Wisconsin Milwaukee at Washington County and Waukesha
Medical Professional Legal Consultant
About This Course
Serving the Washington County and Waukesha Campuses
This exciting program prepares medical professionals for a career in the legal field as a Medical Professional Legal Consultant (MPLC). Building on your medical education and clinical experience, this course provides medical professionals with the fundamental skills necessary to advise law firms, insurance companies, and governmental agencies regarding medically related issues and to appear in court as expert witnesses. The course teaches legal concepts related to the health care industry, as well as the role a legal consultant might play in litigation areas such as medical malpractice, toxic torts, product liability, personal injury, wrongful death, criminal law, and workers’ compensation. Any medical professional interested in entering the legal field can benefit from the education provided by this course. The course is also open to anyone interested in the field of forensic testimony and medical-legal issues.
DISCLAIMER: The Center for Legal Studies, is not affiliated with, nor do we endorse, any entity producing, marketing, reselling, or distributing healthcare goods or services consumed by or used on patients.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
|This program has been reviewed and is approved for a maximum of 45.00 hours of AAPA Category 1 CME credit by the Physician Assistant Review Panel. Approval is valid for one year from the issue date of 05/06/2019. PAs should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation.
This program was planned in accordance with AAPA’s CME Standards for Enduring Material Programs and for Commercial Support of Enduring Material Programs.Successful completion of exams is required to earn Category 1 CME credit. Successful completion is defined as a cumulative score of at least 70 percent correct.
Please call 1-800-522-7737 or email [email protected] for more information.
The Medical Professional Legal Consultant is offered in the following formats:
Convenient online format can be accessed from any computer with Internet access. Online sessions are offered every 8 weeks throughout the year.
- View the Course Syllabus
- Review the material as many times as necessary for full retention of the information
- Students benefit from direct interaction with the instructor and other students by way of email and a discussion board
- This course focuses on Legal Theory and Terminology, Ethics, Litigation Process, Employment Areas, Fundamentals of Legal Writing
- Specific attention will be given to Legal Nurse Consultant Practice in Torts, Crimes, and Contract Breaches
- Students have 7 weeks to complete the online course
- Students e-mail assignments and exams
- Once registered, your password and access information will be sent in time for the start of class.
- Order Books Online
Highly Recommended Legal Resource:
- WESTLAW legal research access. Please call 1-800-522-7737 for more information. Order Online.
Required Course Textbooks
Legal Nurse Consulting, Principles and Practices 4th Edition - Edited by Julie Dickinson and Annie Meyer